This came after i dealt with them back in forth over missing files only to find out what they said and they meant were 2 different things. I need to slow things down dont use so many big words you know “userize it”
Him: “How do I get that thing back at the top of my screen?”
Me: “Press F11.”
Yep, that was it.
Today was easily the busiest day my department has ever seen in its 4 years of existence. There were no actual emergencies or site outages, but we easily did 3 times our normal daily ticket volume. One call I got was from a Tier 1 Desk Monkey supervisor, who told me of an outage and gave me the ticket number. Immediately I noticed a problem with the ticket… it had already been closed. I confirmed the ticket number and asked her to confirm that this really was for the outage in question. She confirmed that it was, and at that point I let her have it. I asked her if she had actually bothered to check the ticket prior to calling me because the local tech had already closed it… two days ago.
She refreshed the ticket and began stuttering, stammering and falling over her words. I told her the local tech who fixed the problem was quite thorough in his notes and I recommended to the Desk Monkey supervisor that perhaps, instead of just calling us to dump a work order on us that was obviously meant for the local site anyway, to check the ticket first to see what was going on with it.
The other day, my department chief sent an email out to us, asking to have someone take a look at a bunch of tickets. In short, the Tier 1 Desk Monkeys claimed we didn’t do our jobs because we failed to work on these tickets and create Outage Notifications for them. I took the email and pretty quickly saw a pattern… over 90% of the tickets had bypassed my group completely, and we had no knowledge the tickets even existed. Most of the remaining 10% had the Outage Notification number listed in the very first sentence of the ticket. Of the list of over 200 tickets sent, only 1 was one we were notified of and had worked, and it was questionable at best whether the ticket in question deserved an Outage Notification as it involved a single nurse being unable to get to a website that had nothing to do with her job, and was even lowered to a Low Priority by the night shift person who worked it, stating that it could wait until the local techs came in for work in the AM.
I replied back to our chief with the information, along with notes for every single ticket, stating that all but one of the tickets they were trying to throw us under the bus for, either never came to our attention, or already had the very thing they claimed we never did. And in the case of the former, I rather bluntly stated in my reply that it’s a little difficult for our team to work on a ticket that we never even knew existed. In the latter case, I also was rather direct in stating whether they even bothered to check the tickets, since the Outage Notification number was right there in the very first sentence of the ticket, but they were trying to claim we never did one for the ticket.
My chief was very thankful for the info and passed it along to the Desk Monkeys, and is basically one more nail in their coffin, as it pretty much proves just how useless they are, when they don’t even bother to check their own information, check their own tickets they create for info, or do their jobs really…